24 May 2012

Jump

Twice in the last year, administrators have told me I am "too passionate."  Out of curiosity, when did passion become a bad thing?  I have been pondering this question for the last few days and I think I have an answer.

Passion is a negative when the status quo is the objective.

Now when I say status quo I am not talking about being stagnate.  You can still be moving forward, but you are following the same 5 year goals that you had 5 years ago.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and a lot of good schools are doing this and having great results.  But I want need something more.

I thought of this analogy this morning:  You are standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon.  Far below you is the canyon floor with the Colorado River running through it.  You have 3 choices: sit there with a pair of binoculars and watch the river from the top of the canyon wall, ride a donkey or walk down a twisting path to the bottom, or base jump off the top of the canyon and parachute down.

All three choices get you a view of the river.  None of them is necessarily a bad choice depending on what your intended outcome is.

http://goo.gl/gXwuy
But I am a base jumper.  I love the thrill of doing something that few others are and I love the rush of not knowing exactly how everything will turn out.  I never jump without a parachute (ok, almost never).  I want to help others to learn how to take that first leap and I want an administrator who is going to be standing there handing out parachutes.

So, who's with me?

4 comments:

  1. This is so true and I am right there with you!! I have been teaching for 21 years and I have always been a base jumper. In fact I joke about closing my eyes and jumping with full trust in my students and myself. I also find myself rebelling when I am told it can't be done, I practically run out of the room and work to prove that statement wrong. Whether or not I am successful, I have taken the chance, learned something and have the guts to jump again another day.
    Thanks for a great end of the year post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are kindred spirits. I've lost count of the number of times I have developed awesome projects on the car ride into work and rolled it out that day. It is something that I pride myself and I wish more teachers were like us. Keep up the great work and thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I am so with you and keep jumping! I think it is "easier" to just be satisfied with the status quo instead of continually trying to find better ways to do things - I see it all over in my school and department. On the other hand, I think it is so fun, fresh, and exciting to try new ideas and share them with others... I just wish more of them wanted to jump with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have my Nikes ready to jump! Like Crystal I wish more wanted to jump, but I realize that everyone's path is unique and just as I feel the need to jump; there are those whose cautiousness aides their own needs.

    ReplyDelete

Moving Day

I want to thank everyone who has been reading this blog. It is time to get a more professional look to the site so this blog will be moving ...