I am just like you.
- I care deeply about my students. I get involved in their lives so they know that I care about them as people first. I attend their athletic competitions, their drama performances, their art shows. I want to know who they are inside, not what score they are on a test.
- I work hard to develop lessons that engage all learners. My students need to find a way to connect with the material to make it meaningful and I strive to find ways to make that happen every day.
- I am over-worked and under-paid. The lights in my room come on at 6am and typically don't turn off until after 3. After some family time and dinner I start the 2nd half of my job.
- I am constantly under attack from my elected officials because they feel like they know how to do my job better than I do even though they have never set foot in my classroom.
- I love my job!
- I bring passion and energy to everything I do. I get excited over chemistry so that my students will get excited over chemistry.
So what about me is "intimidating"?
- Are you curious about the technology that I use in my classroom? Then ask me to show you how to use it in your room.
- Is it my level of energy that I bring every day? I do it to inspire others to do the same. You hold yourself to a higher standard so your students have something to work towards, why shouldn't you do the same for your colleagues?
- Are you afraid that I am going to try to change you? That is not my job. If you are doing what's best for kids, holding them to a high standard, and challenging them every day then you are perfect just the way you are. I am just doing it a different way.
Different is not bad. You are different from me, but really I am just like you.