10 August 2011

In an effort to go paperless

Unfortunately, I am nowhere near ready to go paperless.  While my notes, handouts, labs and even quizzes and tests are online, I still have those pesky lab reports that are needed to do in-class labs.  But I was reading about someone who was using Google Forms to have their students complete surveys and writing samples in class and it dawned on me that I should be using them to.  At the beginning of the year, I have my students complete the traditional index card with all of the pertinent info on it and then store that in a box in the room just in case I need to get to the info later.  So many times I have needed an email or phone number while at home and sure enough that card is sitting in my desk at school.

So I thought, "What if I took the info from the index card and turned it into a Google Form?"  Below is what I came up with.  Now, this is my first attempt at using Google Forms so please be kind in your comments.


As I was putting in my usual questions, I realized that the index card really limited how much information I could draw from the students on the first day so I added 4 more questions to my usual list (the last 4 on the form).  The only thing I need help with is testing it to make sure that 1) it works properly and 2) the spreadsheet that's created is able to be sorted.  So, if you are reading this, PLEASE enter in some random information into the fields so I can play with this.

THANKS! Comments are encouraged.